Saturday, July 25, 2009

Don't mess with me, I'll cut you...




That's how I feel when I wear my new necklace-in-progress.

The necklace was inspired by a piece from Ann Demeulemeester, an influential Belgian designer known for creating dark, gothic inspired clothing.

I stumbled across the necklace on the Fashion Flux blog and soon became obsessed. Because I am sure the Demeulemeester necklaces are a bit out of my price range, I decided to try making my own.

First, I found a small pair of scissors. Ideally I would like some that are even smaller, maybe some lovely crane scissors. Then, I spray painted them black with a matte finish. I can't really open them, which is a bummer, but they sure do look pretty.

The original pair have the tips painted white, which in my opinion is a great design element because it makes the scissors not look so harsh. The eye is not drawn to the sharp point, but rather to the handle detail.

I haven't figured out what kind of chain I want it on yet, I'm thinking brass chain with leather, I might hit up my friend Emily Baker to see if she has something that will go with it.

Sorry for the terrible photo, my digital camera was a casualty to a water spill in my purse and no longer works. Mac Photo Booth will do in a pinch, I guess.



Even though it's not finished yet, I still love it!





No comments: